Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The Visitor Chapter 4



This is Chapter 4, scroll down for chapters 1-3


Kate felt her skin grow cold.  The room was silent except for the hum of the oxygen supply to Tim.  She opened her eyes.  The woman was gone.  She was cold, but put a hand to her forehead and wiped sweat away.  She felt lightheaded and leaned against the bed.  She felt as if the room was spinning.  She noticed that her patient, Tim Johnson, had stopped breathing.  She put her hand to his neck and felt for a pulse.  There was none.  He had passed.

She turned to make her way out of the room, which was more than her senses could handle.  She dashed into the bathroom, fell to her knees and vomited into the toilet.  Her body heaved until there was nothing left.  She felt exhausted.  She rested her head on her forearm.  Her body was cold and covered with sweat. 

After a few moments Kate flushed the toilet and stood in front of the mirror then looked at the pale face in the mirror.  She washed her hands and rinsed her mouth, then just looked at herself in the mirror while wondering what just happened.  Pull it together.  You have a job to do, then get out of here.  Believe… believe what.

Kate took a deep breath and relaxed.  She wet a hand towel and wiped her face.  One last look in the mirror.  Her head was feeling steadier now. 

Kate walked out of the room into the hall.  She looked up and saw Ramona working at one of the computer terminals in the hallway. 

As she got closer Ramona looked up at her stunned at Kate’s appearance.  “Kate, are you okay?  Why are you so pale?”  Ramona asked.

“I’m not feeling very good.  I just got dizzy and threw up.”  Kate said.

“Honey, sit down, is there anything I can get for you?  What happened?”  Ramona asked as she helped Kate into a chair.

“Mr. Johnson passed.”

“What happened?”

“I don’t know Ramona.  I was taking his vitals, it was dark, then…then I just got dizzy.  Ramona, I hate to ask but I really need to get out of here.  I really don’t feel…”

“Kate, aside from vacation, you haven’t asked for a day off since you started working here.  We can handle this.  You go home and get some rest.  I am going to get you some water.  Okay?  Sit down over there and I will be right back.”  Ramona said as she turned to walk away.

Kate bit at her lip, but she had to ask, “Ramona, did you see anyone come out of the room?”

“No honey, I have been standing at that terminal the whole time you were in there.”

“I thought I saw someone, a woman, in the room,” she said, unsure of what just happened.

“That’s it.  You’re going home.  Come on,” Ramona said as she helped Kate to her feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment